Michael Schionning has over three decades of actuarial experience, providing consulting services to mid-size to large employers, including governmental, quasi-governmental, Trusts, health care plans and corporate employers. Prior to joining Cheiron, Michael was Principal and Consulting Actuary with Buck, LLC where he was lead health care actuary in Buck's Western Region.
Michael's experience includes:
- Providing strategic consulting services, including benefit design, pricing and contribution strategy solutions based on marketplace, competition and client objectives.
- Providing provider contracting support, including contracting strategies, negotiations, and revenue and expense development.
- Evaluating and selecting third-party administrators and providers, including developing contracting strategies, participating in negotiations, and proposal analysis.
- Performing claim data analyses to determine experience trends, identify utilization patterns, and provide assistance in developing strategies to manage emerging medical costs and disease states.
- Developing reserve analyses, including self-funded LTD and life insurance plans, health care benefit IBNR, and workers compensation reserves.
- Performing actuarial valuations under ASC, IAS, GASB, including postretirement and postemployment benefits, including medical cost assumption development, result reviews, and full disclosures and certifications.
- Providing collective bargaining support, including assistance in developing bargaining strategy, pricing the cost of various options, and presenting at the bargaining table as the client expert.
Michael is a Fellow of the Society of Actuaries and a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries. He has a Bachelors of Science in Mathematics from the University of Notre Dame.